Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Did he really just say that?

A few months ago, I had a patient who had an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) repaired. The poor fellow ended up with multiple complications, but his first night post-op, he had one in particular that was sort of hard to miss. I had, fortunately, been warned about it.

Upon assessing my patient, I found him to be a very nice gentleman who was a very young-looking > 90 year-old. He was alert, oriented, and generally sharp as a tack. I ask him how he's feeling, and his reply?

"Look at my balls!"

Well, it was a valid comment. He had a lot of scrotal swelling and bruising (think plums...), and just... ow! All I could think to reply was, "It's sort of hard to miss them." Pause. "Let's get a little ice and elevate them."

He was a real trooper about it, and very appreciative for the ice, elevation and pain medication. He made a decent recovery minus some bumps in the road.

... no pun intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment